Chapter Thirteen


Janaka said:

1.  Even a monk possessing nothing, does not easily find that tranquility which is inherent in one who is free from the desire for action. I have renounced both action and renunciation of action, and live happily in any state.

2.  Renouncing identification with the body, the tongue, and the mind, I have acquired that state which is above desire, fatigue, and ferment.  Therefore, I abide in happiness.

3.  Realizing that the Self is actionless, I do whatever presents itself, and live happily.

4.  Action or inaction is for those attached to the body. Having neither association nor disassociation with it, I live in perpetual bliss.

5.  Neither good nor evil results for me from activity, rest, or sleep.  Therefore, I am happy whether at rest, active, or asleep.

6.  Neither do I lose or gain by sleeping or striving – giving up all thoughts of loss and triumph, I live happily.

7.  The varying aspects of pleasure are subject to change, under different conditions.  I am happy because I have gone beyond good and evil.