Chapter Two


1.  Janaka said:

How wonderful!  I am tranquil, taintless, pure Knowledge, transcending matter (Prakriti).  Until now, I have been deceived by illusion.

2.  As I, by my light, reveal this body, so do I reveal the whole Universe.  To me it belongs, or it is naught.

3.  Through renunciation of this great Universe together with this body, I now perceive the supreme Self, by the skill of my Yoga.

4.  As waves, foam, and bubble are not different from water, so in the in the light of true Knowledge, the Universe, born of the Self, is not different from the Self.

5.  As a piece of cloth is found, on reflection, not to be different from its threads, so this Universe, on reflection, is found not to be different from the Self.

6.  As the juice of sugar cane wholly pervades the sugar produced from it, so the Universe, produced phenomenonly in me, is pervaded by my Self.

7.  The world appears as a result of ignorance of the nature of Self, and it disappears when the nature of the Self is recognized.  The illusory snake is born of the absence of Knowledge of the rope, and it disappears when Knowledge of the rope is attained.

8.  My nature is Knowledge and nothing other than Knowledge. Verily, the Universe is revealed under the light of my Self.

9.  How strange that the world has its appearance in me, due to nescience, like the illusory silver in the mother-of-pearl, the snake in the rope, and the mirage in the rays of the sun.

10.  From me the world is born, in me it exists, to me it dissolves. As jars return to clay, waves to water, and bracelets to gold.

11.  Wonderful am I, my salutations to my Self!  I am beyond the range of decay.  When the whole world from Brahma to a blade of grass is destroyed, I still remain.

12.  Wonderful am I!  In spite of the body and its properties, I am one.  I go nowhere, I come from nowhere, I abide in my Self, pervading the whole Universe.

13.  All praise to me.  I am most skillful.  I, without a form, uphold the Universe through all eternity.

14.  I am wonderful, adoration to my Self.  I own nothing, and yet all that is thought or spoken of is mine.

15.  In reality, Knowledge, the Knowable, and the Knower do not exist in me.  That faultless Self and I, by whose want of Knowledge the three appear to exist.

16.  The conception of duality is the root of all suffering.  Its only cure is the perception of the unreality of all objects and the realization of myself as One, pure Intelligence and Bliss.

17.  I am pure Intelligence.  Through ignorance I have imagined the illusory conditions in myself. Meditating thus, all the time, I am the Absolute.

18.  I am neither bound nor free.  My illusion has ended.  The world, though appearing to exist in me, has in reality no existence.

19.  My conviction is that the Universe and the body have no reality. The Self is naught but Intelligence. How can the world be imagined in it?

20.  I am the Self, and my nature is pure Consciousness.  The body, heaven, hell, bondage, freedom, and fear are merely imagined, and I have no relationship with them.

21.  I see no duality.  Why should I become attached to a multitude of human beings who resemble a wilderness to me?

22.  I am not the body and the body does not belong to me.  I am pure intelligence.  My only bondage was my desire to live as a cognitive identity.

23.  I am the limitless ocean in which, on the rising of the wind of the mind, the worlds are produced, as waves on the sea.

24.  When the wind of the mind has died away in the ocean of my Being, then the ship of the Universe perishes, together with its trader, the Jiva.

25.  How strange that in me, the limitless ocean, the individualized selves, arise as waves.  They cross each other, play for awhile, and disappear, according to their respective natures.